Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Close to Home

Stonehenge
I have been drawn to stuff like this since I was  a little kid.  A very long time ago.  Patterns, textures, abstractions of the environment, teasing out the beauty in the mundane; possibly arising from the fact that my family was pretty far from well off, and I had to work with what I had.

Not that we were going hungry, but we lived in a pretty drab part of New York.  It was a grayer and grimier city in the 1950's, since coal was still being burned, and raw sewage was being dumped into the rivers.  I may seem be waxing nostalgic here, and we certainly need to keep our nostalgia shiny but 1950 era New York was pretty dreadful.  I guess I learned early to work with what I had.


New York City is a lot shinier and prettier now, in some neighborhoods, at least.


These three images are on display at NY Law School through the end of March, part of an OIA show about animals...



No comments:

Post a Comment